I am a mom of 8 kids...need I say more?!!! My day to day life can be total chaos, but I love every second of it! I also love crafting, decorating, bargains, couponing, thrift stores, books, movies, yard sales, volunteer work...you name it, you'll find here!! I have a lot to say :) I also love to cook and bake! Check out my other 3 blogs: www.dedekneadarecipe.blogspot.com and www.dede-daytoday.blogspot.com and www.greatlocalfoodtour.blogspot.com
Monday, July 4, 2011
Book Review: Money Secrets of the Amish
Book Review: Money Secrets of the Amish: Finding True Abundance in Simplicity, Sharing and Saving
I recently received from Booksneeze.com, a complimentary issue of: Money Secrets of the Amish in exchange for a review
Book Summary:
Take one thoroughly modern gal with a recessionary income problem, mix with the practices of a culture that has proved to be recession-proof, and what have you got? A financial planner in a straw hat.
When writer Lorilee Craker learned that the Amish are not just surviving but thriving in the economic downturn, she decided to find out why. What she found was about a dozen tried and true financial habits the Amish have employed for generations that will make your cash last longer and help you build wealth. Craker provides tips to...
-use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without.
-rethink your gift giving.
-repurpose, recycle and reuse.
-eat like royalty for a peasant's pittance.
"Packed with practical, simple, and smart money saving ideas and teeming with great insight into the sensible Amish ways, Money Secrets of the Amish will entertain you with stories and retrain your brain to be the savvy money saver you always dreamed you could be."
My Review: This book was very intriguing. Packed with tips and the hysterical quips of Lorilee Craker, I couldn't wait to pick it up and then had a hard time putting it down. She incorportated her everyday life stories with things she learned from the Amish. She also included quotes from others about specific topics even leading you to many websites and blogs about saving. You learn how Lorilee, herself, has spent time with and listened to the ways the Amish save as she tries many of those ideas herself...doing well in some areas, but realizing how much she loves certain ways of her life that could not possibly be changed. She tells you how to save by using different methods of swapping/bartering. How the Amish try to recyle anything they possible can so they do not have to spend and are able to save for the things they truly need. The simplicity of a birthday gift involving no extravagence. The positives and negatives of buying bulk! All with a sense of humor. I am looking forward to finding other books by Ms. Craker...she is entertainment!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment